In King’s view, CISOs shouldn’t be on boards. Their role is to create and oversee all security policies and strategies. The best board members with cyber expertise are on the “offensive revenue-generating side,” he says, and those executives include general managers, COOs and CEOs who understand how cyber impacts the overall business — not the CISOs who set security strategy. “There’s a difference between speaking technically and speaking business,” King says. “That doesn’t mean CISOs don’t speak business, per se, but they don’t have a P&L to run.”
Ready to get started?
- Security Threats Create Talent Challenges, Opportunities (2017 interview – just as relevant today)
- Benchmark Recruits Chief Revenue Officer for DeDrone
- Interview with OODA on the greatest leaders Jeremy King has seen
- Avantus Secures Lynn Dugle as Board of Director via Benchmark Executive Search
- U.S. CISOs Out-Earning Other Countries
What Our Clients Say About Us…
We have used them for a number of important executive searches. The reason we keep coming back is consistent high quality of performance. They work a tight process – position specification, candidate qualification, process management, etc. It would be a lot harder to build successful companies without them as a partner."